Thursday, December 15, 2016

Plaisir D'Amour


I have a new favorite song....again! Plaisir D'Amour by Jean Paul Égide Martini! This splendid melody has been etched into my very soul and there it will remain forever. I know I must have heard the melody at different times throughout my life, because it is a beloved French song, and I believe it is fairly well-known. For me, the song has only just been recognized as of a few nights ago when I was watching, of all movies, We're No Angels. This is a Christmas comedy with none other than Humphrey Bogart (Maltese Falcon) as a star, along with Peter Ustinov and Aldo Ray. In the very beginning of this delightful old treasure, I discovered my golden nugget! Plaisir D'Amour plays in the background as the opening scene begins. As the camera pulls back we see that some common man, driving a donkey cart, plays his instrument and sings a different lyric to Jean Martini's melody. Ma France C'iest Bien Aimee is the title for the song this man sings on the movie's soundtrack. I searched in vain for this title until I stumbled upon the name Jean Paul Égide Martini. Then I found my song! My search didn't stop there though. Next I had to find the perfect voice, my favorite rendition. I discovered my favorite female voice for this song rather quickly to my immense delight. Unfortunately, time and time and again I could not accept the versions I heard from male voices. None quite met up to my expectations or personal preference (how I heard the song sung in my mind) until I decided to turn to Wikipedia. There I found a list of recordings and the name Tino Rossi! He's my man! The instrumentation is not the best I've heard for this beautiful melody, I know, but the voice makes it the best, My Favorite! 
Below are the links. First: exquisite Tino Rossi's version Second: Kathleen Battle's version.
Tino Rossi~Plaisir D'Amour
Kathleen Battle~Plaisir D'Amour


No comments:

Post a Comment